North Greene High School
Band Booster Meeting Minutes for October 2016
The meeting was called to order by President, Michelle Miller.
Time: 6:16 pm
Place: NGHS Band Room
- Brandon Woods, Band Director
- Kyle Gorbski, Asst. Band Director
- Michelle Miller, President
- Angel Gass, Vice President
- Melody Weidleman, Treasurer
- Jamie Bartlett, Secretary
- Cherie Cain
- Marcia Phillippe
- Lisa Laughters
- Crystal Riner
- Samantha Brown
- Tanya Jones
- Connie Rosenbalm
- Nikki Pierce
- Beginning Balance: $3563.78
- Ending Balance: $3756.70
- Regular account balance: $1887.26
- Uniform Fund: $1769.44
- Cash Fund: $100.00
- Total assets on hand at end of August 2016: $3756.70
Income from September activities of note:
- Baileyton Days = $274.71
- Concession earnings = $1764.53
- Donut sales = $620.00
- O’Reilly’s Car Wash = $516.50
- Roadblock = $440.67
- Yard Sale = $184.25
There was no further discussion or questions regarding the Treasurer’s Report
- The Yard Sale and Roadblock held 03-Sep-2016 was a success. Income provided in Treasurer’s Report.
- Baileyton Days was also a success. One hundred dozen donuts were purchased for the weekend, and all were sold. We still have donut discount cards for sale. Please contact Michelle Miller if you are interested in selling or purchasing cards.
- The Color Guard Car Wash Fundraiser was held 17-Sep-2016 and brought in more money than the summer car wash. Details in Treasurer’s report.
- Competition Shields/Backdrops: The shields have been completed and work is continuing on the back drops.
- Applebee’s Pancake Breakfast will be held 12-Nov-2016 from 8 am-10 am. Tickets will be sold in advance of the event for $10.00 each. Breakfast will include pancakes, eggs, bacon, and a drink. Parent and student volunteers are needed for the event. Two hundred tickets are being printed now. Three hundred is the maximum that can be sold.
- Uniforms: Uniforms have been found for every band member. The black shirts were returned for a refund. All uniforms have been dry cleaned and bibs washed.
- Tumblers have been placed on the back burner for now. Current ongoing fundraiser is Little Caesar’s pizza kits and cheesecakes.
- Yankee Candles sales will begin soon, so the candles will be available for Christmas.
- Still no word on the list of fundraisers sent to Mrs. Weems. Mr. Woods asked Jamie Bartlett to reduce the list to a smaller number and it will be resubmitted for consideration.
- Valentine’s Day carnations – Jamie Bartlett brought back pricing from Food City for carnations, which was $1.50/stem. Discussion was held on potentially changing idea to candy gram or balloons to reduce cost.
- Nikki Pierce is working on a grant to assist with payment for new uniforms.
- It was stated that the band still plans to do the 10 for 10 fundraiser, potentially in the Spring, to go towards new uniforms. Band members would make a list of 10 people they would solicit for $10 each.
- Car lot test drives were brought up. No one had checked on this potential fundraiser since last meeting, but Mr. Woods said it was a lucrative event for the GHS band. Connie Rosenbalm volunteered her husband to check on it at Gateway Ford.
- Discussion was held to begin sales of a generic North Greene t-shirt with the NG shield on the front. During the discussion it was mentioned that we could sell several NG items, rather than just a t-shirt. Michelle was going to make a list of items and get pricing, so the boosters can choose what could be sold. Mr. Woods to get pricing for the t-shirts. Discussion was held about creating an order form for students to sell the NG items. Extra items could be purchased to sell during basketball games and other NG events. Mr. Woods to check on permission to sell at events. Michelle to get the list together soon, so items could be back for Christmas.
- The chili cook-off previously scheduled for 19-Nov-2016 has been cancelled.
- Insurance for band trailer: The insurance was transferred to Geoff Miller at no cost to the band boosters.
- Discussion was held about serving a meal prior to the Christmas concert. We cannot use the kitchen, but we can use the cafeteria. It was suggested that we do a soup/chili dinner where parents could bring their food in crock pots, so the kitchen would not be disturbed. Date for concert TBD. More details will be provided closer to the date of the event.
- The band will be providing the dinner for the Baileyton Ruritan on 20-Nov-2016 at 6:00 pm. A donation sheet was passed around for parents to sign up to bring food and other items. We will be serving breakfast for dinner. This dinner will coincide with the Hampton football game, as it was moved to that date, but we will continue to serve the dinner for the Ruritan.
- At the September meeting, Nikki Pierce suggested having a point person for each grade and school for the Middle School band to get them more involved. This topic was not discussed at this meeting.
- At the September meeting, it was discussed that it would be useful for the band boosters to use the Remind Me app. Mr. Woods to contact Mr. Rosenbalm to check on this possibility. This topic was not discussed at this meeting.
Kyle went over details for a proposed Spring Trip to New York City, which was the location selected by vote of the band members. The trip will be held 24-26-Mar-2017. These dates are the weekend before Spring Break. A tentative itinerary was provided to attendees of the meeting.
- 3 days/2 nights
- Cost could range between $360.00 – 420.00 per person depending on how many people sign up. Attendees could follow a payment schedule. No final decision has been made on the cost of the trip or the payment schedule.
- Parents are encouraged to go and would pay the same price as the students.
- Mr. Woods is planning on having an informational meeting for parents – date TBD.
Tanya Jones mentioned that 7th and 8th graders planning to attend the trip should be involved in fund raisers held by band boosters. It was discussed that all students should participate in at least one fund raiser. Discussion was held, but no vote was taken.
- Band Competitions: These are usually an all-day event. Parent volunteers are needed to help set up and carry instruments and back-drops. Awards occur later in evening. Upcoming competitions:
- 08-Oct-2016 at Big Stone Gap, VA
- 15-Oct-2016 at Sullivan Central High School
- 29-Oct-2016 at Science Hill High School
- 05-Nov-2016 at ChattanoogaMore details to come closer to each event on call time, directions to event, etc.
- Michelle and Melody have submitted tax exempt paperwork at several local businesses that we use for purchasing items, especially for the concession stand.
- Michelle mentioned that she would like for the color guard to have flags in our school colors of green and gray. She will check on pricing for those.
- The band boosters will be serving a pizza lunch to the band on 13-Oct-2016 during their all day practice.
- Practice for band 13-Oct-2016 from 9 am – 5 pm
- Practice for band 14-Oct-2016 from 8 am -12 pm
The meeting was adjourned at 7:24 pm.
Next meeting will be held on Thursday, 03-Nov-2016, at 6:00 pm in the NGHS Band Room. All band parents are encouraged to attend.
Minutes respectfully submitted by Jamie Bartlett, Secretary.