North Greene High School
Band Booster Meeting Minutes for November 2016
The meeting was called to order by President, Michelle Miller.
Time: 6:10 pm
Date: November 3, 2016
Place: NGHS Band Room
- Michelle Miller, President
- Angel Gass, Vice President
- Melody Weidleman, Treasurer
- Lisa Laughters
- Samantha Brown
- Tanya Jones
- Nikki Pierce
- Beginning Balance: $2845.40
- Ending Balance: $6602.10
- Regular account balance: $4220.84
- Uniform Fund: $2181.26
- Cash Fund: $200.00
- Total assets on hand at end of August 2016: $6602.10
Income from October activities of note:
- Cheesecake = $356.20
- Popcorn = $1643.00
- Pizza = $907.00
- Concession Stand = $532.50
- 1 returned check of $31.00 plus a $10.00 fee. Total $41.00 to collect from parent. Michelle to contact parent.
- Popcorn money of $100.00 still needs to be collected from teachers.
- Popcorn of $2516.00 to be paid November 7, 2016.
- Cheesecake of $1744.80 to be paid out November 7, 2016.
- JCPenney reimbursed Band Boosters for the black shirts that were returned.
- Music Doctors and Senior Clinic Competition of $80.00 paid and cleared.
There was no further discussion or questions regarding the Treasurer’s Report
- Applebee’s Pancake Breakfast cancelled due to age limitations.
- Uniforms: Uniforms have been found for every band member. The black shirts were returned for a refund. All uniforms have been dry cleaned and bibs washed.
- Nikki Pierce has scheduled a telethon fundraiser to raise money for uniforms. Students are required to develop a list of 15 people who they will call on November 11, 2016. During the call, the students will ask friends and family to donate money for band uniforms. The telethon will take place from 3:30 to 5:00 p.m. Nikki is hosting a bonfire for the band immediately after the telethon. Nikki will pass out the new uniform cost with the fundraising instructions.
- Tumblers, per Mr. Woods, can be ordered.
- Lanyards minimum order quantity is 50.
- Stadium seats discussed but not decided.
- Sunglasses are on hold until Spring.
- Draw string backpacks discussed but not decided.
- Local business letter being written by Michelle and proofed by Nikki Pierce, as required.
- Yankee Candles sales will begin January 20, 2017.
- List of fundraisers sent to Mrs. Weems has had no action. Mr. Woods asked Jamie Bartlett to reduce the list to a smaller number and it will be resubmitted for consideration. Michelle to follow up with Mr. Woods and Jamie Bartlett.
- Valentine’s Day carnations – Jamie Bartlett brought back pricing from Food City for carnations, which was $1.50/stem. Discussion was held on potentially changing idea to candy gram or balloons to reduce cost. No action or discussion at November meeting. Band Boosters to follow up at December Band Booster Meeting.
- Grant: Nikki Pierce is working on a grant to assist with payment for new uniforms. Nikki followed up with Judge Bailey. Unfortunately, there are no grants available this year.
- Band Uniform Telethon: Nikki led the band in telethon November 11, 2016 (see previous mention). In addition to high school band telethon, the middle schools will also be conducting a telethon to raise money for uniforms. Date is to be determined for the elementary schools.
- Car lot test drives were brought up. No one had checked on this potential fundraiser since last meeting, but Mr. Woods said it was a lucrative event for the GHS band. Connie Rosenbalm volunteered her husband to check on it at Gateway Ford. Band Boosters to follow up at December Band Booster Meeting.
- Generic North Greene T-shirts: Discussion was held to begin sales of a generic North Greene t-shirt with the NG shield on the front has been cancelled.
- Chili cook-off previously scheduled for 19-Nov-2016 has been cancelled.
- T-shirts and Hoodies for Band Students and Parents: T-shirts are being designed. Angel Gass is working with Shana Russell on designs and costs. An outside vendor is preparing an order form. The vendor has been sick but will hopefully have the order form available by end of week November 14, 2016.
- Christmas Concert – Discussion was held about serving a meal prior to the Christmas concert. We cannot use the kitchen, but we can use the cafeteria. It was suggested that we do a soup/chili dinner where parents could bring their food in crock pots, so the kitchen would not be disturbed. Date for concert TBD. More details will be provided closer to the date of the event.
- Date: December 9, 2016
- Student Call Time: 6:00 p.m.
- Dinner Time: 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.
- Concert Doors Open Time: 7:00 p.m.
- Concert Time: 7:30 p.m.
- Bake Sale or Cake Walk: Any items not auctioned in Cake Walk will be used as desserts for Christmas Dinner.
- Menu: Chili, Hot Dogs, Baked Potatoes, Dessert, Sweet Tea, Lemonade, Bottled Water, Condiments, Cheese, Sour Cream, Crackers, Cornbread. See Michelle on how to donate items.
- Silent Auction for Baskets: Faith Basket, Christmas Basket, Coffee and Donut Basket, Snowman Basket, Chocolate Basket, UT Vols Basket, Baking Basket Husky Basket, Tool Basket, and Vera Bradley Baskets discussed. We need parents to be in charge of a basket and theme and also to get other parents to donate items to the baskets.
- Freshman – Tonya – Popcorn and Movie Theme
- Sophomore – Angel – Car Theme
- Junior – Lisa – Bath & Body Works Theme
- West Pines
- The Baileyton Ruritan on November 20, 2016 at 6:00 p.m. has been cancelled.
- Elementary School Point Parents – At the September meeting, Nikki Pierce suggested having a point person for each grade and school for the Middle School band to get them more involved. This topic was not discussed at this meeting. Band Boosters to discuss at December Band Booster Meeting. There is a New York Trip Meeting November 14, 2016. This would be an ideal time to get 7th and 8th grade student contact information.
- Remind Me App: At the September meeting, it was discussed that it would be useful for the band boosters to use the Remind Me app. Mr. Woods to contact Mr. Rosenbalm to check on this possibility. This topic was not discussed at this meeting. Band Boosters to discuss at December Band Booster Meeting.
The New York Spring Trip Parent Meeting is scheduled for November 14, 2016 at the Band Room. Mr. Woods and Kyle will discuss trip details and down payment plus payments schedule to parents. The trip will be held March 24 through 26, 2017. These dates are the weekend before Spring Break. A tentative itinerary was provided to attendees of the meeting.
- 3 days/2 nights
- Cost could range between $360.00 – 420.00 per person depending on how many people sign up. Attendees could follow a payment schedule. No final decision has been made on the cost of the trip or the payment schedule.
- Parents are encouraged to go and would pay the same price as the students.
- Mr. Woods is planning on having an informational meeting for parents – date TBD.
- Band Competitions: Chattanooga cancelled due to changes in competition rules changing.
- Flags – Michelle mentioned that she would like for the color guard to have flags in our school colors of green and gray. She will check on pricing for those. Band Boosters to discuss at December Band Booster Meeting.
- Santa Hats for Christmas Parade to be purchased. Michelle Miller is the point of contact.
- Hat Boxes – New hat boxes to be ordered. Michelle Miller is the point of contact.
- Color Guard – New uniforms for color guard to be purchased. Michelle Miller is the point of contact.
- Thanksgiving Box – Mr. Woods suggested that no-perishable items be donated to a local organization such as North Greene Ministries.
- Donut Cards for Krispy Kreme – Michelle suggested that each student sell two cards each. There are a total of 90 cards remaining to sell. All cards sold are profit. Anything not sold could be sold at Lowes in Johnson City, TN.
- Band Trailer Decals and Advertisements discussed but not decided. Review at December Band Booster Meeting.
- Band Banquet
- May – Date to be determined
- Venue: Unknown at this time
- Catered by: Firehouse Barbeque
- Menu: Barbeque Pork, Chicken, Baked Beans, Green Beans, and Drinks
- Additional Foods Discussed: Cole Slaw, Macaroni and Cheese, Desserts to be provided Band Boosters
- Cost: $12.00 per person
- Pre-sale Tickets (High School Students Not Required to Pay for Dinner)
- Motion by Melody Weidleman
- 2nd Motion by Angelique Gass
- All Approved
The meeting was adjourned at 7:30 pm.
Next meeting will be held on Thursday, December 1, 2016, at 6:00 pm in the NGHS Band Room. All band parents are encouraged to attend.
Minutes respectfully submitted by Angelique Gass, Vice President.